Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Starting the first floor ...

Sorry there aren’t any pics yet – I thought I burned them to a cd last night so I could upload them at work, but when I got to work this morning there weren’t any pictures on the cd.

Today is Day 2 of full-time framing on the house. I’m hoping that by the time I get there we will have the four walls of the bottom storey up. Last night we managed to stand the front wall and frame the back wall. When I was there at lunch today they had the frame for one of the side walls done, so I assume they finished the second one this afternoon. Now comes the slow (but very important) job of anchoring the walls to the concrete floor. Peter rented a concrete drill this afternoon, so that’s probably what we’ll be working on all night.

These days are just flying by with no time for anything else! We got home around 9:30 last night and by the time I had organized the pictures from the last week it was 11 and way too late to be up. We got up this morning at 5:30 to do some car shuffling before work.

Nan & Gramps came up today to bring food and a picnic table. Gramps’ trailor also came in very handy because we had to pick up a few more pieces of wood to finish the bottom floor today. Gramps also worked on checking for leaks in the connectors of the heat pipe – very helpful as we wanted to be sure we weren’t losing pressure from leaks in the foundation :)

It was really neat last night to see the wall go up – I could see where the kitchen, entry, and living room will be. The only surprise was the height of two of the windows in the living room. They’re a bit higher than I expected, but I figure that will make it easy to put furniture (maybe the piano?) against that wall. The downstairs is so open that wall space is precious! Anyway, it was really neat to see everything start to come together. I imagine it will be even more so tonight.

Thanks again to all the people who are helping out – we really appreciate it!

No comments: